Category Archives: Show And Tell

Minutes for February 28, 2017 Meeting

IMG_3401

February Project:  Bead Board

February 28th Meeting
The church had their annual pancake feed so the group met upstairs for the night.
The meeting was called to order at 7:10 with 15 people in attendance.

Dues:
Lisa D. discussed that club dues should be paid, she has a list of all that haven’t yet and reminder emails will be sent to all.

Bead It Forward
Bead –It-Forward projects were due. Lisa collected them and was going to mail them out as soon as possible. The new theme for next project has not been posted on their website yet. It’s a bit early but look for that to happen in the next couple of months if you are interested in participating.

Casting For Recovery
Casting for Recovery has made some changes. The group has decided to split their trips up into two separate outings of 14 participants each, which are now going out in June and October. We were asked to provide items for both trips. The decision was unanimous by all in attendance to participate. Joni is going to call the group to confirm our commitment.
Projects are need by May 1st for the June outing. A uniform design was discussed and a fish pendant was decided upon Cindy will get the necklaces that are needed for the pendants.

Edna Perkins
Edna Perkins projects are due at the April meeting, please be generous with your resources and talent!

Omaha Bead Affair
The Omaha bead Affair is coming up in April. A sign-up sheet for volunteering was sent around. We need volunteers for each day to attend to the group table, help with Friday set-up, work the entrance table, be a runner for the vendor if they need it. We also need someone to put up signs along the road in the mornings and take them down for the evening.
We are not asking for all day participation, just a few hours to help represent the group and help. We are splitting the entrance and give away table with the Lamp Workers Guild.
The Nebraska Bead Society has opened up their classes with National teacher Laura McCabe. Any that would like to take the class can check out their website for pictures and information about the projects, class times and directions. I have heard they are hard to find so participants can get ahold of Kim Dimitroff and she will email them to you. Classes are $55.00 for any non-member of the Bead Society.
Bead Creation Exchange – Eileen won!

Show and Tell – Joe finished her flower! Prolific Beader is Cindy (she’s working her way through a book!)
Egg Challenge submissions are due in March for voting and to be used on our group table at the Bead Affair

IMG_3399 IMG_3400 IMG_3401 IMG_3402 IMG_3403 IMG_3404 IMG_3405 IMG_3406 IMG_3407 IMG_3408 IMG_3409 IMG_3410 IMG_3411 IMG_3412Dates to remember
March 9 – Papio Creek open beading night
March 28 – Egg challenge due
April 8 & 9 – Omaha Bead Affair
April 25 – Edna Perkins Projects Due

Meeting Minutes: October 25, 2016

Beady Bunch Meeting 10.25.2016

img_3287

October-November, 2016 Project

16 Members were in attendance for tonight’s meeting and the pill bottle testers were there so we had a few members participate in that. After the testing was completed the meeting was called to order by President Sheri Walters.
This was a busy meeting with lengthy discussions on all topics. The meeting started with a discussion about the final plans for the weekend class coming up in November with Teacher Amy Katz.

A pot-luck sign-up sheet was passed around the group. As a reminder to those that did not attend the meeting , but are attending the classes: this is a pot luck and every attendee must contribute to the lunches on either Saturday OR Sunday. Call Lisa Dryden with your decision. The choice of food is your decision but you must bring enough to share with the group.
VP Chris Johnson communicated that some members of the Nebraska Bead Society have expressed interest in participating, so she suggested that the classes now open to any non-members that would like participate as well. The group voted unanimously in favor, resulting in the decision that each non-member who would like to take the class will pay a fee of $50.00 per class and must contribute to the potluck luncheon. It is stressed that these are not beginners classes, intermediate and advanced ONLY. All beaders MUST bring a Lamp to use because the venue is not well lit.
The next order of business were the nominations for officers, no new nominations were submitted and voting takes place at the November meeting. There were no new nominations, so the choices on the ballet remain, Sheri Walters – President, Chris Johnson – Vice President, Lisa Dryden – Treasurer, Laurie McKeever – Secretary, Webmaster – Joni Stinson, Librarian – Cindy Smith.
Mona Jenkins was one of the attendees of the Casting for Recovery event in Valentine NE for breast cancer survivors. She relayed to the group that the bracelets we donated were greatly appreciated by the other participants. The group agreed that everyone participating in the making of the donations will work on the same pendant but colors can vary. See Chris or Sheri at any of the next meetings for the pattern.
The group does not have access to the church facilities in June of every year due to a charity event that takes place. The group agreed that dinner with an ornament exchange at the June meeting will be planned. Some type of Christmas ornament, beaders discretion, should be made by anyone that would like to participate. All members are welcome to join the dinner, and not required to participate in the exchange. Venue and dates will be determined at a later date during a group meeting.
The Bead exchange winner this month was Mona Jenkins!
Show and Tell highlighted the some very talented members this month. Prolific Beader of the Month is Lisa Dryden! Check out the photos of her stash (she has a name tag included in the picture).


The meeting was adjourned and everyone started working on the beaded flower that Chris was teaching. This is a 2 part project that will continue at next months meeting. Participants are to bring with them :

11° seed beads
1 tube of delicas
15° seed beads
1-12mm Rivoli
Drop beads – 3-4mm
Ultra Suede for backing

The picture of the blue flower that is posted is to give members an idea of how the beads needed can go together. You can choose any color scheme you want or mix it up !

See you in November!

Meeting Minutes: September 24, 2016

September Beady Bunch Meeting

The meeting opened up at 7pm with approximately 20 members in attendance.
We started with a report from the Treasurer – Lisa D., the number will be unpublished, but our bank account is looking good.

Bead Retreat
The Bead Retreat was another success; everyone had a great time. It was discussed whether we should rent the extra room down by the office again, the decision was a unanimous NO. The room’s not lit well enough for our needs and is smaller than the one we used last year. Instead, Chris suggested we take some of the money we have in the past used for that room and buy some more OTT lights for the retreat. This brought up the reminder for those planning to attend the retreat next year, BRING YOUR OWN LIGHTS (and a fan).

The Retreat has been scheduled and booked for next year September 15, 16, and 17. The Retreat Center raised the price to $40 an night (up $1 from this year). Everyone mark your calendars, fees will be collected next summer.

Amy Katz Workshop
The Amy Katz Retreat is coming up, November 12 &13. Some people have not yet paid for this, PLEASE pay Treasurer Lisa D. at the next meeting or make arrangements with her as to when you can do so. Thirteen (13) members have signed up for the “Fish Out of Water” and eleven (11) have signed up for the Queen’s Tier class. There are still a few spots left for anyone wanting to join; the price is $30.00 a class. Classes are 9am – 4pm with a 1 hour lunch break.  Cindy S. is taking care of booking a hotel for Amy.

Who would like to join Amy for dinner?
We are looking for 2-3 members each night who would like to take Amy to dinner so she can experience a little bit of Omaha while she’s here.

The retreat location is at the Wycliffe Apartment Clubhouse, 15202 Wycliffe Dr.
Pot Luck was voted on for both days; everybody is bringing something, so think of an idea of what that will be as the sign-up sheet will be circulated at the next meeting.

Bead Creation Winner

Kim B. won this months bead creation exchange. Diane presented to her a beautiful set of copper enameled beads.

Bead It Forward

Chris brought example of Bead-it-Forward patterns. This years theme is fantasy and you can go to their website to get more ideas, www.bead-it-forward.com
Election

Nominations are in for the officers

Lisa D. – Treasurer
Sheri W. – President
Chris J. – Vice President
Laurie M. – Secretary
Cindy S. – Librarian
Joni S. – Web Master

If anyone else is interested in running, bring it up for discussion at the next meeting. Voting is at the November 22 meeting.

October/November Project
Chris discussed her project for next months meeting. Everyone picked out a small packet of fabric, and you are reminded to bring thread to match the color of fabric that you chose to the October meeting.

Show and Tell

Check out the latest photos of Show and Tell, Cindy has been busy as usual and Chris finished a project!

You can view the items on our Face Book Page.

Project

Diane taught her class on enameling copper beads, great participation, everyone had fun learning the technique.

Name Tags

Lisa D. would like to remind members to bring and wear your name tags, or pay the penalty (.25)

October 27, 2015 Meeting Minutes

image

Beady Bunch meeting minutes 10/27/15
Voted on 2016 Bead Retreat. Decided on 9/16/15-/18/16. Lisa will put a deposit down at the Center.
Altoid Challenge – Lori wants to use at the Bead Affair. Lisa also suggested displaying finished projects from the 2015 Bead Retreat with Lisa Turnene.

Cost of church was discussed and it was voted that we give the church $20 a month for the use of our meeting room. Chris made the motion, Joni seconded it.
Lisa gave the treasury report.

Question was asked if our group would need to add to the seed money already given to the Bead Affair since the Lincoln group is not going to participate in 2016. We already have vendors and teachers set up. The deposit on the building has been paid. Publicity expenses are the next biggest expense and it looks like we will be ok. Profits will be divided in half in 2016.
There was an article about Edna Perkins in the 9/24/15 Living section of the Omaha World Herald.

Cindy to find a teacher for next fall. Let her know if there is anyone that you would like to come and teach.
Native American Craft show 12/5/15 at Westside Community Center.
Show and Tell

 

image
November project
1 tube Kheops beads
50 4mm rounds or fire polish
11 and 15 seed beads, similar or contrasting colors
2 split rings
Clasp
2 size 8 beads in matching colors

 

submitted by Mary Wheeldon, Secretary

Meeting Minutes: June 25, 2013


The meeting was called to order with 13 members present. 
 
Old Business: The officers met earlier this month and discussed proposed revisions to the bylaws. Mary explained some of their thoughts and why the bylaws should be revised. Members were each given a copy and we will discuss and vote on the changes at the July meeting. 
 
We did a new drawing from a list of those members who taught a project in 2012. The winner was Joan. She received a $25 gift card to Beadsetc. Thank you to all of you who offered your time and talents to teach a project. 
 
The Charlene from 5z’s workshop will be held on Saturday Sept. 7th from 1:00-5:00. The cost is $25 per student plus a small fee (approx $20) for the beads. The beads are to be purchased from Charlene. 
 
Mary explained the Chis/Mary challenge for any members who missed it at the May meeting. Mary has provided the beads and Chris will provide the prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. The finished projects will be due at the September meeting and will be judged by the members present at that meeting. 
 
Discussion of the newly formed Bead Bazaar committee. Charlene P. will head the committee and volunteers are Mary H, Lisa D, and Joan D will act as an adviser. Charlene noted that she will set up a meeting for the committee and contact someone from the Lincoln group with the 
hope of coordinating efforts.
 
Reminder, that there will be no UFO night in July.
 
New Business:
 
Chris opened a discussion of a possible bead retreat in the fall. Mary presented 2 ideas and sent around a signup sheet to get a general consensus. Possibilities are a one day retreat or a weekend. A few locations were discussed. Mary will do some research and report later.
 
Show and Tell was held followed by a beaded name tag project by Mary. The finished name tags are due at the September meeting. If you don’t wear your name tag at a meeting, you will be assessed a fine of a quarter which will go to the treasury. The July project will be a continuation of the Name Tag Project.

(Note: Please correct your project list. The July Ring project that was to be presented by Joni Stinson was post-poned to February, 2014.)
Submitted by:
 
Denise Stahl, Secretary


	

Minutes of Meeting May 28, 2013

Beady Bunch Meeting Minutes May 28th, 2013

The meeting was called to order with 15 members present.

Lisa gave the Treasurer’s report.

Announcements:

Chris announced that the July UFO night will be canceled due to the church needing the space for another event.

New Business:

Membership Booklets:

Mary Hunter passed out the Membership booklets & Bylaws and reported that the Bylaws are quite outdated and need to be revised. Joni made a motion that the officers review and revise them and report the changes to the members. It was seconded and the vote passed.

September Workshop

Julie Overby reported that Charlene from Lincoln would like the doily class on Sept 7th to start a 1 pm and said that it will likely last for 4 hours. The class fee will be $25 not including beads. The fee is non refundable. Julie passed around a signup sheet for the class.

June Project and Supplies Needed:

Mary Hunter explained the June/July beaded nametag project.

The first night will be spent designing your nametag.

Please bring: paper, pencil, ruler, eraser & tape. She will provide graph paper for peyote and brick stitch.

If you choose to do bead embroidery, you will need to bring Stiff Stuff or heavy felt.

The finished project will be due in September when all members will be required to wear them or put a quarter in the treasury fund.

Challenge:

Mary Hunter presented the Chris & Mary Challenge. Mary will provide the bead packs and Chris will provide the prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. You pick a bag of beads and can do any type of beaded project using all of the beads. You can add more of your own if you wish. The finished projects will be due at the September meeting or you will owe $5 to the treasury if you don’t complete it.

Show and Tell was followed by a short earwire class by Charlene P and a Twin bead bracelet by Charlene W. Both were interesting and fun. Thanks gals!

Submitted by: Denise Stahl, Secretary

April 23, 2013 Meeting Minutes

Beady Bunch Meeting Minutes April 23rd, 2013

The meeting was called to order with 16 members and 2 guests present. Lisa gave the treasurer’s report and noted our share of the profits from the Bead Bazaar. Discussion followed about how to promote the bazaar next year. Denise made a motion that we have a committee to market the bazaar, it was seconded and passed. Charlene Pearce volunteered to be on the committee along with Mary, Mary and Lisa.

Edna Perkins Project. Members brought items to donate to the Veteran’s Hospital for Mother’s day. Reminder to all members to be working on projects all year long so we have many pieces ready for April meeting.

Membership Book: Mary Hunter reported on her progress on the membership book. She intends to have it proofed and completed by May meeting.

Expressions Art Show:  Charlene told us about a new fashion and art show called Expressions that will be held on May 23rd at Sokal Auditorium.

May Projects:  Projects for the May meeting will be taught by both Charlene’s. We will learn about making french hooks and a beaded bracelet. The meeting was followed by Show and Tell and a beaded flower project by Sheri.

 

Thank you Sheri for a great project!

April Show and Tell

Submitted by:
Denise Stahl, Secretary

September 25, 2012 Meeting Minutes

September 2012 Project Presented By Gail MaySeptember Project:  Presented By Gail May

Beady Bunch Meeting Minutes Sept 25, 2012

The meeting was called to order with 17 members present.

The Treasurer’s Report was given. All bills have been paid for the year.

Joan is working on getting a local artisan to teach a workshop in the spring. She hopes to have an update by the next meeting.

Joan also passed out discount flyers for the Lincoln Bead Bazaar, which will be held on Oct 13th from 9 AM to 4 PM. It is a new location this year, at the 27th St Conference Center, 3901 N 27th St. Vendor list is available at nebraskabeadsociety.blogspot.com.

Officer nominations will be held at the October meeting, so be thinking of someone you might want to nominate, or a position that you would like to hold for the coming year. Lisa as agreed to continue as Treasurer. Voting will be done in November.

Joni reported that Rita Jackman has donated her stash of beading books and magazines to the Beady Bunch library. Our thanks go out to Rita for her generous donation!

Chris reported that the daytime beading group has been very successful. Charlene will be hosting on Oct 4th and 18th. Hours will be 10 AM to 3 PM. Call Charlene if you need her address.

Joni will be teaching next months project which will be Brick stitch shoulder duster earrings. Supply list will be emailed out soon.  (Webmaster Note:  Supplies needed are available on the website now)

We had Show and Tell followed by a Mystery project taught by Gail. It was super fun guessing what it could be, and even more fun to make. Thanks Gail!

2013 is approaching quickly and we will be planning our monthly projects for the year. So, bring ideas and suggestions of what you would like to learn or something that is just plain fun. February and March are covered, but we need more volunteers for the following months.

Submitted by:
Denise Stahl, Secretary

September Show and Tell Items Created By Members