Tag Archives: beady bunch

Meeting Minutes: April 25, 2017

 

IMG_3559April 25th Beady Bunch Meeting
18 People in attendance, including 3 possible new members.
Mary
Valentina
Miss No Name! (Rhonna? or Ronna?)
WELCOME LADIES! We hope you decide to join us!

Reminder for those attending meetings: PLEASE wear your nametags, we have potential new members joining us and they don’t know who we are yet, I am sure they appreciate this welcoming gesture when joining a new unknown group.

The meeting started with the small review of the Bead Affair, the numbers and feedback was not in yet so it was a short discussion. There were great comments from Teachers and Vendors, we know how to do it right! The dates for next year are April 15th & 16th.
IMG_3562
Edna Perkins donations were due. Joni is taking all of the donations to the VFW in Council Bluffs so they can distribute for us. Thank You Joni!

Casting for Recovery projects are due at the next meeting, we want to have 40 donations (fish pendent) to give away at the nest meeting so the representative for this group doesn’t not have to make a return trip this fall.

IMG_3400

The Bead Retreat was a topic for discussion, it is coming up in September. The sign up for the outing will start at the June Meeting. We will have a signup sheets available for the attendance and meals starting at the June meeting. Keep it in mind, September will be here before you know it!

The Nebraska State Fair has information on their website now. If anyone would like to submit a piece for judging, think about doing it soon, the fair is at the end of August.

A new beading challenge was decided on. The challenge is to bead embroider a heart. For this challenge, you can do anything you want, a pendent, focal piece, earrings even a pin. Use your imagination! These will be submitted at the February 2018 meeting, so you have plenty of time to come up with an idea and work on it.
IMG_3527
The May project will be a Super Duo bracelet that Lisa will be teaching.

The random number generator picked Kathy to win the exchange, Cindy forgot to bring her piece so she will bring it in May.

Show and Tell pictures are up
Prolific Beader of the Month – Sheri ( really Cindy, only 1 piece, your slipping!)

Meeting Minutes: October 25, 2016

Beady Bunch Meeting 10.25.2016

img_3287

October-November, 2016 Project

16 Members were in attendance for tonight’s meeting and the pill bottle testers were there so we had a few members participate in that. After the testing was completed the meeting was called to order by President Sheri Walters.
This was a busy meeting with lengthy discussions on all topics. The meeting started with a discussion about the final plans for the weekend class coming up in November with Teacher Amy Katz.

A pot-luck sign-up sheet was passed around the group. As a reminder to those that did not attend the meeting , but are attending the classes: this is a pot luck and every attendee must contribute to the lunches on either Saturday OR Sunday. Call Lisa Dryden with your decision. The choice of food is your decision but you must bring enough to share with the group.
VP Chris Johnson communicated that some members of the Nebraska Bead Society have expressed interest in participating, so she suggested that the classes now open to any non-members that would like participate as well. The group voted unanimously in favor, resulting in the decision that each non-member who would like to take the class will pay a fee of $50.00 per class and must contribute to the potluck luncheon. It is stressed that these are not beginners classes, intermediate and advanced ONLY. All beaders MUST bring a Lamp to use because the venue is not well lit.
The next order of business were the nominations for officers, no new nominations were submitted and voting takes place at the November meeting. There were no new nominations, so the choices on the ballet remain, Sheri Walters – President, Chris Johnson – Vice President, Lisa Dryden – Treasurer, Laurie McKeever – Secretary, Webmaster – Joni Stinson, Librarian – Cindy Smith.
Mona Jenkins was one of the attendees of the Casting for Recovery event in Valentine NE for breast cancer survivors. She relayed to the group that the bracelets we donated were greatly appreciated by the other participants. The group agreed that everyone participating in the making of the donations will work on the same pendant but colors can vary. See Chris or Sheri at any of the next meetings for the pattern.
The group does not have access to the church facilities in June of every year due to a charity event that takes place. The group agreed that dinner with an ornament exchange at the June meeting will be planned. Some type of Christmas ornament, beaders discretion, should be made by anyone that would like to participate. All members are welcome to join the dinner, and not required to participate in the exchange. Venue and dates will be determined at a later date during a group meeting.
The Bead exchange winner this month was Mona Jenkins!
Show and Tell highlighted the some very talented members this month. Prolific Beader of the Month is Lisa Dryden! Check out the photos of her stash (she has a name tag included in the picture).


The meeting was adjourned and everyone started working on the beaded flower that Chris was teaching. This is a 2 part project that will continue at next months meeting. Participants are to bring with them :

11° seed beads
1 tube of delicas
15° seed beads
1-12mm Rivoli
Drop beads – 3-4mm
Ultra Suede for backing

The picture of the blue flower that is posted is to give members an idea of how the beads needed can go together. You can choose any color scheme you want or mix it up !

See you in November!

Meeting Minutes, August 23, 2016

Instructor: Diane
September Instructor: Diane : Copper Beads

The August 23rd, 2016 meeting started at 7pm. Seventeen members were present

Casting For Recovery:  Officers Christine Johnson and Lisa Dryden presented Casting for Recovery representative Linda Severin with the bracelets the group made for Casting for Recovery. Linda gave the group a little more insight as to what her organization does for women with breast cancer and thanked the group again for voting on making this an annual endeavor for the group. If members are interested in information about this group they are invited to go to the web page www.castingforrecovery.org. Pamphlets were left with the group which will be available at the retreat and the next meeting.

Bead Retreat:  The subject of the Bead Retreat was discussed with the reminder that there are 3 spots left if anyone else would like to join the group heading to Griswold, IA for the weekend of September 17th and 18th. All payments are due, if any member that plans on attending has not paid yet they must contact Lisa Dryden, whose information can be found on the updated email list that was sent out earlier this summer. For anyone attending the retreat, there will be an open Polymer clay session provided by Laurie M. that will start after lunch on Saturday.

Amy Katz Class:  The Amy Katz classes that are coming up in November where discussed, Christine Johnson proposed that each member taking the classes pay $30.00 per class to help cover the costs of the teacher. Lisa Dryden seconded the proposal (in the absence of Joni Stinson) and all attending members voted in agreement. The proposal passed and Funds are due at the next group meeting on September 27. Christine Johnson is going to make a group order for supplies for the Amy Katz “Queens Tear” necklace. If members are interested in joining her order for bulk pricing please email Chris as soon as possible. Please reference the updated email list that was sent out at the beginning of the summer.

Egg Challenge:  President Sheri Walters proposed a new group challenge, the decoration of an egg. The medium can be the artists choice, wooden eggs were handed out in the meeting, but other mediums include foam or plastic Easter eggs found at local craft stores. The challenge is due at the March 2017 meeting. Group members were given examples of what types of decorations can be applied and were urged to do an internet search through a favored search engine or to seek out examples on Pinterest.

September Project:   Diane will be teaching her copper bead at the September meeting, kits are going to be supplied for a small fee of $5.00. Diane asks that members bring a heat gun if they have one.

Elections:   Member are reminded that group elections are coming up and officer nominations will be happening at the October meeting.

Announcements:  Informational – The Annual Omaha Gem and Mineral Show will take place at the Westside Junior High School this year(not the community center). October 1&2, Located at 8601 Arbor St., Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-5. The School is located on the north side of 86th and Center Street, facing directly across the road from Canfields Sporting Goods.

Meeting was adjourned at 745pm after which group members worked on the monthly project, the diamond duo bracelet, with instruction supplied by Stephanie Harris.

June 23, 2015 Meeting Minutes

Beady Bunch meeting minutes 6/23/15 13 members attending Treasury report by Lisa Bead Affair did very well this year. The goal of the Bead Affair is to earn money for the group. Bead Retreat is full 7 more spots for class 1 more spot for bed Have supply lists for those taking classes. Lisa is taking orders from FireMountain Gems and Fusion beads for supplies needed for classes, must have by Sunday 6/28. Flight information is to come yet. Sign up sheet for the retreat menus. Don’t forget snacks and beverages. Chris: Linette Nelson(Beads Etc. Linette) has agreed to be our seed bead dealer for next Bead Affair. Bead Market will have an open bead night, we decided the first Thursday of the month was good. Bead Market will order anything that we request. This month’s winner was Joni, she will supply next month’s prize. There was a motion to buy book for 2 hole beads, it was seconded. Next month’s project is Christmas in July. Chris is supplying the fabric/paper beads for star ornanments. Bring 24 guage wire, 3-4mm crystals (15-20), and size 6 or 8 seed beads, bugle beads (10), clear nail polish. Show and tell. Photos to follow.

Submitted by Mary Wheeldon, Secretary

Beady Bunch Minutes June 24th, 2014


The meeting was called to order with 13 members and 3 guests present. Lisa gave the  Treasurer’s Report and noted that she has paid the church for the first half of the year, and collected dues from the new members.
 
Old Business:
 
Chris & Lisa gave a report from the Bead Affair committee. The three groups met last Saturday and discussed having a start-up bank account with each of the groups contributing $500. This money will be used for advertising and promoting the event. A motion was made by Lisa that our group would agree to the contribution of $500. Joni seconded it and the vote passed.
 
Bead Retreat, Sept 19th-21st:
 
Chris sent around a sign-up sheet for those that want to attend. There is room for 18 spots for each night and you must give Lisa a check to hold your spot. Please note that your check will be cashed. You will be able to get a refund up until Sept. 1st, if you are unable to attend. There will be exceptions for emergency situations and that shall be decided by the officers. The cost is $34/night for both nights and $39 for one night.
 
UFO Night
Our next UFO night will be July 10th, and regular meeting will be July 22nd. 
 
New Business:
 
Mary Hunter's class will be $20/person and we will need 5 people to attend in order to hold the class. No date is set yet, but will likely be held in the fall. Let Chris or Lisa know if you are interested. Chris has examples of the two projects.

July Project

The project for July meeting will be a netted butterfly bracelet taught by Kim D. Supply list will include:
  • 7-6mm round beads or pearls,
  • 8 to 10 grams of size 11 seed beads in two contrasting colors (8-10 grams of each color). They must be very different in order to distinguish the butterfly.
  • You will also need a 3 strand tube clasp
  • regular bead stitching supplies…needle, thread of choice and mat.
 
image                      July Project

Show and tell (can be viewed on Our Face Book Page:  www.facebook.com/OmahaBeadyBunch?ref=hl was followed by a leather necklace project taught by Diane. 


Instructor:  Diane
Instructor: Diane
And her Trusty Hubby and Helper
And her Trusty Hubby and Helper
Thanks Diane for a fun project!

 
Submitted By:
Denise Stahl, Secretary
Sample of Project by Sheri Walters

May 2014 Project

Sample of Project by Sheri Walters
Sample of Project by Sheri Walters

This gorgeous piece will be our featured Project at the May Meeting.  Sheri has provided us with the supply list of things you need to bring to the meeting.

 

From Sheri:
I will be teaching the pendant design, for the May Beady Bunch project.
The supplies needed for this follows…
  • Delica beads (size 11) – 1 or 2 colors needed, small tube, or partial tube of beads will be plenty.
  • Dagger beads, or drop of any kind – 20+ beads needed, depends on how full you want the fringe to be.
  • Thread and needle that you are comfortable working with.
Have an idea what kind of necklace you will be putting the pendant on. so you know how large to make the starting tube.
I will attach a link, to the website that was my inspiration.
Thanks.
Sheri

 

Minutes For February, 2014 Meeting

 Last Years Edna Perkins Invitation to Veterans


The meeting was called to order with 10 members present. Lisa gave the Treasurer’s report and noted that she has paid the lodging deposit for the fall retreat.
 
Old Business: Bead Bazaar committee report. Lisa brought up a discussion of alternative ideas for the bazaar. Since Char has taken a new job that requires her to travel most of the time, we will need to figure out ways to do marketing for the bazaar. Lisa offered to contact Char to get some ideas of how to proceed. Joan clarified some things regarding working with the Lincoln group. Lisa, Diane and Joan will be on the steering committee to meet with April of the Lincoln group to get things started. 
 
Edna Perkins Project. Chris reminded  the members that they are to bring their completed items no later than the April meeting. 
 
2014 dues are due now. $20 per year. Give or send your check to Lisa if you haven’t paid yet.
 
Fall Bead Retreat: Sept. 19, 20 & 21. The cost is $34/night for two nights and $39 for one night. 
 
New Business: Lisa will teach the March project. We will be using memory wire, either ring size or bracelet size. This is a good project to use up your miscellaneous beads or left overs. So, check your stash and be ready to have some fun with a quick and easy project.
 
Show & Tell was followed by a beaded ring project taught by Joni. Thanks Joni!
 
Submitted by:
 
Denise Stahl, Secretary

Meeting Minutes for January, 2014

February, 2014 Project by Joni Stinson
The meeting was called to order with 11 members present.
Lisa gave the treasurer’s report.
Old Business:
No report from the Bead Bazaar committee.
The bead retreat was successful.  Everyone who attended had a wonderful time.
New Business:
The dues are $20 per year.
With Mary H. leaving, the Vice-President slot is vacant.  Eileen W. volunteered and was elected to fill this slot.
The next Bead Retreat is scheduled for September 19, 20, 21.  This is a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  It will be held at the same place where our Fall Bead Retreat was held in Griswold, IA.
Bring your finished jewelry items for the Edna Perkins project by the April Meeting.
UFO:
The February 13th UFO night will be at D. J.’s Dugout.  It is located in the Aksarben Village, about 68 & Mercy Rd.  Bring your laptop, I-Pad, Tablet or Kindle,  We will be learning how to use Pintrerest.  The meeting will be from 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM..  We needed a place to be able to accommodate us hooking up to Wi-FI.
Show and Tell was followed by eating the wonderful treats that were brought.  Everything was delicious.  And we also had fun with the Chinese auction gift exchange.
Submitted by Eileen Wilson, Acting Secretary
Webmaster Note:  The February Project is the ring at the top of this post.  The materials needed are in a separate post on this website.

February, 2014 Project: “Diamond” Ring

Our February Project will be making a “diamond” ring…..named for its shape, not it’s gemstone.

 

February, 2014 Project by Joni Stinson

Supplies Needed

Delica seed beads size 11 (DB0035) in photo

Delica seed beads size 11 (accent shown in blue in photo but can be any color)

2 Miyuki Size 8 seed beads Size 8 (these are the top and bottom beads in the photo and are silver 0181)

1 4 mm Swarvski crystal bicone

Nymo B or D

Needle

These are ideal for birthstones:

These SWAROVSKI ELEMENTS crystal beads are organized by birthstone color. Whether you’re creating birthstone jewelry for a friend or making something for yourself, this section makes it easy.

This picture can be better viewed at this link:

http://www.artbeads.com/swarovski-birthstones.html

Call me at 402-493-8065 if you have questions.

Joni

Meeting Minutes: June 25, 2013


The meeting was called to order with 13 members present. 
 
Old Business: The officers met earlier this month and discussed proposed revisions to the bylaws. Mary explained some of their thoughts and why the bylaws should be revised. Members were each given a copy and we will discuss and vote on the changes at the July meeting. 
 
We did a new drawing from a list of those members who taught a project in 2012. The winner was Joan. She received a $25 gift card to Beadsetc. Thank you to all of you who offered your time and talents to teach a project. 
 
The Charlene from 5z’s workshop will be held on Saturday Sept. 7th from 1:00-5:00. The cost is $25 per student plus a small fee (approx $20) for the beads. The beads are to be purchased from Charlene. 
 
Mary explained the Chis/Mary challenge for any members who missed it at the May meeting. Mary has provided the beads and Chris will provide the prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. The finished projects will be due at the September meeting and will be judged by the members present at that meeting. 
 
Discussion of the newly formed Bead Bazaar committee. Charlene P. will head the committee and volunteers are Mary H, Lisa D, and Joan D will act as an adviser. Charlene noted that she will set up a meeting for the committee and contact someone from the Lincoln group with the 
hope of coordinating efforts.
 
Reminder, that there will be no UFO night in July.
 
New Business:
 
Chris opened a discussion of a possible bead retreat in the fall. Mary presented 2 ideas and sent around a signup sheet to get a general consensus. Possibilities are a one day retreat or a weekend. A few locations were discussed. Mary will do some research and report later.
 
Show and Tell was held followed by a beaded name tag project by Mary. The finished name tags are due at the September meeting. If you don’t wear your name tag at a meeting, you will be assessed a fine of a quarter which will go to the treasury. The July project will be a continuation of the Name Tag Project.

(Note: Please correct your project list. The July Ring project that was to be presented by Joni Stinson was post-poned to February, 2014.)
Submitted by:
 
Denise Stahl, Secretary